Everything about the project RNA World
Nachricht
Autor
ChristianB
Admin
Admin

Re: open Beta Test for new cmsearch VM application

#49 Ungelesener Beitrag von ChristianB » 22.09.2013 18:02

szopler hat geschrieben:There were no checkpoints - there were a lot WU's.
There are checkpoints - there is no WU's.

:evil:
There are still some issues with the VM and the backend processing of successful VM tasks. As soon as this is finished we will inject some more workunits. My time is limited at the moment so we need 1 or 2 more weeks.

JeromeC
XBOX360-Installer
XBOX360-Installer

#50 Ungelesener Beitrag von JeromeC » 22.09.2013 18:52

Conan hat geschrieben:
JeromeC hat geschrieben:Hi all

sorry I don't have time to read the full topic, is there a Mac app released for the beta VB/VM application ?

Dim 22 sep 11:23:40 2013 | RNA World | No tasks are available for cmsearch VM (VirtualBox) 1.0.2

I don't think so and I'm very interested to test it.

Thanks to let me know.
You just have to check on the front page under Applications to see that there is an Mac app available for the VB.
Then check the Server Status to see that there is currently no Work Units available for you to run.

So, Yes an Application has been released but as your message states there is no work to do at this time.

Conan
It turns out Norman had told us (on the AF forum) that there was no Mac app a few weeks ago, therefore my question.

Good to know there is one now (it must be pretty new then), hopefully there will be WU to test soon :)

JeromeC
XBOX360-Installer
XBOX360-Installer

#51 Ungelesener Beitrag von JeromeC » 28.09.2013 18:51

Gee this is bad, I had deactivated XXL (and short too) and activated the beta... and I got a XXL a no beta !! (I guess because I let the check "give me other app when there is no work" on)

So I canceled this XXL after a few hours crunched (I had WAY too muy bad luck with these on my mac in the past, with many hours of crunch lost after WU error in several occasions, actually I don't think I ever finished a XXL...), I hope there will be at last some of these VM WU...

:(

ChristianB
Admin
Admin

#52 Ungelesener Beitrag von ChristianB » 04.10.2013 17:10

I will run some more testunits with the new vboxwrapper and an updated VM today or tomorrow for all platforms (Windows, Mac and Linux)!

Crystal Pellet

#53 Ungelesener Beitrag von Crystal Pellet » 06.10.2013 14:07

ChristianB hat geschrieben:I will run some more testunits with the new vboxwrapper and an updated VM today or tomorrow for all platforms (Windows, Mac and Linux)!
Hi Christian,

Am I right in the assumption, that your trickle event is only used to let the server know "Hello server, the task on this client is still active"

and maybe then used to increase the deadline if needed and not to partially upload results?

ChristianB
Admin
Admin

#54 Ungelesener Beitrag von ChristianB » 06.10.2013 14:33

Crystal Pellet hat geschrieben:
ChristianB hat geschrieben:I will run some more testunits with the new vboxwrapper and an updated VM today or tomorrow for all platforms (Windows, Mac and Linux)!
Hi Christian,

Am I right in the assumption, that your trickle event is only used to let the server know "Hello server, the task on this client is still active"

and maybe then used to increase the deadline if needed and not to partially upload results?
Yes, that's right the trickle mechanism is only used to increase the deadline. We can't upload partial results from cmsearch.

At the moment it works like this. The app sends a trickle message every 4h (runtime) and the server extends the deadline another 14 days if it receives a trickle message within the last 14 days of the task.

Crystal Pellet

#55 Ungelesener Beitrag von Crystal Pellet » 06.10.2013 15:02

ChristianB hat geschrieben:At the moment it works like this. The app sends a trickle message every 4h (runtime) and the server extends the deadline another 14 days if it receives a trickle message within the last 14 days of the task.
Thanks for your answer.

At the moment only the deadline on the server is increased and not on the client.
I suppose to accomplish that, the boinc.exe application has to be adjusted.

ChristianB
Admin
Admin

#56 Ungelesener Beitrag von ChristianB » 06.10.2013 15:35

Yes, that's right. But I spoke to David Anderson and he will find a way to also accomplish this in one of the next versions.

JeromeC
XBOX360-Installer
XBOX360-Installer

#57 Ungelesener Beitrag von JeromeC » 08.10.2013 21:56

Hello

I'm delighted to see you now have some Mac WU, but it seems I missed the last test WU you generated : will you launch again some soon ?

ChristianB
Admin
Admin

#58 Ungelesener Beitrag von ChristianB » 11.10.2013 17:17

I announce the test has been completed. There are still some tasks in progress, such as 5 converted XXL long-runner (6330530, 6330531, 6330532, 6330533, 6330534). If you happen to crunch on one of them you can keep it running. Unfortunately for those 5 the automatic deadline extension system is not working but I will monitor and extend them myself.

There are approximately 120 more XXL long-runner available for conversion and Michael is going to upload some fresh tasks that we are distributing soon. The requirements for 4GB RAM and 64bit CPU/OS are still standing. I don't have the time right now to create and test a 32bit VM.

I want to thank all participants of this test and hope that you will help other users with your knowledge.

robertmiles
XBOX360-Installer
XBOX360-Installer

#59 Ungelesener Beitrag von robertmiles » 12.10.2013 04:04

I plan to try this after my XXL workunit (6088268) finishes. 2888 hours so far, reached "100% progress" at about 1800 hours, still running. Needs another extension, though.

Windows 7 appeared to slow down noticeably after about 2400 hours, so it appears that I need reboots more often.

The site for downloading old versions of VirtualBox is currently down for maintenance, though.

Just how often are the checkpoints with the VM version? If they're often enough, I may find it useful to enable RNA World on my Windows Vista computer also.

Crystal Pellet

#60 Ungelesener Beitrag von Crystal Pellet » 12.10.2013 08:06

robertmiles hat geschrieben:Just how often are the checkpoints with the VM version? If they're often enough, I may find it useful to enable RNA World on my Windows Vista computer also.
The checkpoint is a snapshot of the Virtual Machine.
The interval comes from your preferences setting for disk and memory usage in BOINC Manager.
The setting for 'Tasks checkpoint to disk at most every ... seconds' is used (default 60 sec.), but the wrapper has a minimum of 600 seconds.
So a lower setting results in snapshots taken every 10 minutes. A higher setting in BOINC Manager will increase the interval.

Antworten

Zurück zu „RNA World Discussions (english)“