Nachricht
Autor
gemini8
Vereinsvorstand
Vereinsvorstand

Re: State: Postponed: VM job unmanageable

#13 Ungelesener Beitrag von gemini8 » 16.08.2021 03:37

That communication is one-way.
Unfortunately the BOINC client isn't designed to understand the extension of deadlines.
Gruß, Jens
- - - - - -
Lowend-User und Teilzeit-Cruncher

Bild Bild Bild
Bild

robertmiles
XBOX360-Installer
XBOX360-Installer

#14 Ungelesener Beitrag von robertmiles » 16.08.2021 21:22

I increased the RNA World share on my computer so that it could use a physical CPU core without exhausting its share of the CPU time. No postponed problems since.

robertmiles
XBOX360-Installer
XBOX360-Installer

#15 Ungelesener Beitrag von robertmiles » 19.08.2021 01:25

Increasing the resource share for RNA World made the postponed problem less frequent, but did not completely prevent it. I'm about to increase it some more.

Jacob Klein
Brain-Bug
Brain-Bug

#16 Ungelesener Beitrag von Jacob Klein » 19.08.2021 04:11

Increasing resource share will not have an impact on how frequently the problem happens.
Although it is not known why the problem happens, the less you use your PC for anything other than RNA World, the less frequently the problem is thought to occur.
This means .. manually doing Windows Updates while BOINC is not running, and only running RNA World while BOINC is running.

I also take weekly backups of the VMs, to finish them online in case the VM fails in BOINC.

robertmiles
XBOX360-Installer
XBOX360-Installer

#17 Ungelesener Beitrag von robertmiles » 08.10.2021 05:37

I'm SLOWLY recovering my internet access after the computer running the task failed three weeks ago. All attempts to make that computer boot again have failed.

If I'm able to transfer the contents of the drives of the failed computer to the computer I'm using now, is there a way to continue the task on the computer I'm using now without booting the failed computer again? If so, how?

I've removed the drives from the failed computer, but have not been able to connect them to the computer I'm using now yet.

Jacob Klein
Brain-Bug
Brain-Bug

#18 Ungelesener Beitrag von Jacob Klein » 08.10.2021 09:40

If you're switching PCs, then BOINC will want a fresh set of data, and you should not try to re-use old BOINC data. So, just move on. Sorry.

gemini8
Vereinsvorstand
Vereinsvorstand

#19 Ungelesener Beitrag von gemini8 » 08.10.2021 10:41

If the hardware is compatible to the old one to a high degree you might be able to re-use the Boinc data.
For RNA-World this should nonetheless have a point, as the deadline is only two weeks, I think.
Also using a fresh set of Boinc data should be more fail-safe than mixing it up with older stuff, apart from files like app_config.xml, if you tweaked them to your needs and know what to adjust for your new machine.
Gruß, Jens
- - - - - -
Lowend-User und Teilzeit-Cruncher

Bild Bild Bild
Bild

Michael H.W. Weber
Vereinsvorstand
Vereinsvorstand

#20 Ungelesener Beitrag von Michael H.W. Weber » 08.10.2021 12:07

Ah, Robert managed to re-activate his forum account. Well done. :good:

To the topic:
RNA World tasks need to contact the server at least once every two weeks. If that time frame has passed, the server marks the task as non-returned and you won't be able to do anything about it.
It might be possible, however, that our server admin could try to re-acivate that task. To try to do this, the minimum information we need is the task URL. What I do not know is whether the migration to a different machine would be possible at all - even after task re-activation. :roll:

Michael.
Fördern, kooperieren und konstruieren statt fordern, konkurrieren und konsumieren.

http://signature.statseb.fr I: Kaputte Seite A
http://signature.statseb.fr II: Kaputte Seite B

Bild Bild Bild

Antworten

Zurück zu „RNA World Discussions (english)“