Everything about the project RNA World
Nachricht
Autor
Jacob Klein
Brain-Bug
Brain-Bug

Re: Request: App update for VirtualBox v5.2 VBoxWrapper

#13 Ungelesener Beitrag von Jacob Klein » 06.11.2017 20:02

Ooh! Very close now - The "Release 3" version fixed the version number being printed to stderr.txt!
All of my testing has now passed, successfully.
I have asked David whether it is ready to test for deployment, and will reply here.

gemini8
Vereinsvorstand
Vereinsvorstand

#14 Ungelesener Beitrag von gemini8 » 06.11.2017 23:14

Great stuff, Jacob!
Gruß, Jens
- - - - - -
Lowend-User und Teilzeit-Cruncher

Bild Bild Bild
Bild

Jacob Klein
Brain-Bug
Brain-Bug

#15 Ungelesener Beitrag von Jacob Klein » 07.11.2017 03:44

Christian / Michael:

We've got the green light from David (quoted email to me, below), to release this version that I tested as much as I could, including resuming RNA World tasks. Could you guys do whatever testing you normally do for an updated app version, and then release an updated one that includes 26200 from this file (which is the 3rd version of this .zip):
http://boinc.berkeley.edu/dl/vboxwrappe ... x86_64.zip

Let me know if there's anything you want me to do.
I'd say it's ready for general use.
Thanks for testing!
-- D

Jacob Klein
Brain-Bug
Brain-Bug

#16 Ungelesener Beitrag von Jacob Klein » 11.11.2017 05:57

Bump!

Can we please evaluate how to proceed? I'd like an app that supports VirtualBox 5.2, which is now 3+ weeks old.

VBoxWrapper 26200 was tested stable by me.
VBoxWrapper Trunk has additional changes to polling logic, that are not yet in a VBoxWrapper release.
Consequences of not updating the app, are that the app falls back to the VBoxManage interface instead of using COM.

What's the plan?

Michael H.W. Weber
Vereinsvorstand
Vereinsvorstand

#17 Ungelesener Beitrag von Michael H.W. Weber » 12.11.2017 19:38

The best thing would be to PM Christian with a copy to me.

Michael.
Fördern, kooperieren und konstruieren statt fordern, konkurrieren und konsumieren.

http://signature.statseb.fr I: Kaputte Seite A
http://signature.statseb.fr II: Kaputte Seite B

Bild Bild Bild

Jacob Klein
Brain-Bug
Brain-Bug

#18 Ungelesener Beitrag von Jacob Klein » 13.11.2017 03:47

I sent you guys a PM earlier. Out of town for a bit. Hope you get it upgraded!

Jacob Klein
Brain-Bug
Brain-Bug

#19 Ungelesener Beitrag von Jacob Klein » 18.11.2017 17:14

Sent another PM..

Michael H.W. Weber
Vereinsvorstand
Vereinsvorstand

#20 Ungelesener Beitrag von Michael H.W. Weber » 20.11.2017 13:19

I hope Christian will PM you regarding the VM app updates, because ultimately it is work only he can do. :wink:

From my side once again a kind remark:
Regarding RNA World, we are spare-time scientists. No payment, no employment, no whatsoever. And because in parallel to our efforts here, we are otherwise occupied (job, family, other duties), things do not proceed as smoothly as we would like them to proceed.

Updates are therefore usually only applied if they are absolutely vital for the project or, even better, if other tasks can be combined when applying updates such that there is additional positive overall output for the project.
The change to a more recent Virtualbox version, to the best of my knowledge, requires a total de novo build of the corresponding application(s). Please keep that in mind. It is not just like people update Windows by clicking a single button or something like that...

That being said, I can only encourage people to still continue to help us testing and advising things such as Jacob did so nicely above and over the past years. I understand that it is disencouraging when undertaking such efforts and then it takes our project long to implement them. But I think what I described above makes things understandable a bit better.

In fact, I had taken the opportunity this year to apply for a BMBF grant in order to financially foster the RNA World project. Unfortunately, that application had >>300 competitors of which only 13 were finally approved, as the DLR told me. And these lucky 13 projects would also only receive 200.000,- € at maximum over a total period of three years which, in fact, is barely suffcient to hire substantially qualified personnel nowadays. I did not even receive written referee reviews judging my application. Instead, I was asked to call the organizig committee in case I wanted further details...

Well, it sometimes is hard. I believe that my proposal was excellent. And for sure, I won't give up on writing another one as soon as I hear of any further opportunity.
At present, some lab experiments are progressing slowly but promisingly. And I hope that on the basis of the corresponding results, a new grant applicaltion will be possible, soon.

And remember, even these hardcore lab expriments are carryied out on a spare-time basis without any payments. What we are doing here is trying to bring forward science on a purely altruistic basis.

Michael.
Fördern, kooperieren und konstruieren statt fordern, konkurrieren und konsumieren.

Bild Bild Bild

Jacob Klein
Brain-Bug
Brain-Bug

#21 Ungelesener Beitrag von Jacob Klein » 20.11.2017 15:24

:) Thanks. I tried to do as much as I can do, already, to make it easier to deploy a new version. ie: Testing it, at moderate risk to my 15 in-progress RNA World tasks. I don't think it'd be too hard to deploy, but I don't know for sure. But I do know that VirtualBox 5.1.x development is near completion, and the quicker we can support 5.2.x COM, the better.

Jacob Klein
Brain-Bug
Brain-Bug

#22 Ungelesener Beitrag von Jacob Klein » 26.11.2017 00:32

Oracle now has the following message on their main Downloads page:
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
"If you're looking for the VirtualBox 5.1.30 packages, see VirtualBox 5.1 builds. Consider upgrading."
So, support is winding down for 5.1.x.

Can we please get RNA World support to start using 5.2.x COM yet, via an updated app that uses an updated vboxwrapper?

Thanks,
Jacob

Michael H.W. Weber
Vereinsvorstand
Vereinsvorstand

#23 Ungelesener Beitrag von Michael H.W. Weber » 26.11.2017 12:04

As I said, it depends a bit on how much time Christian can invest in this - he just got a new job.
But it is certainly in our best interest to update the software accordingly.

Michael.

Bild Bild Bild

Jacob Klein
Brain-Bug
Brain-Bug

#24 Ungelesener Beitrag von Jacob Klein » 26.11.2017 14:17

Maybe he can teach you how to do it.

Antworten

Zurück zu „RNA World Discussions (english)“