Everything about the project RNA World
Nachricht
Autor
jon b.
Mikrocruncher
Mikrocruncher

Tasks Failed After BOINC Update

#1 Ungelesener Beitrag von jon b. » 29.04.2016 00:44

I have been running two RNA World tasks for about 180 days, and one for a few weeks. I recently installed the latest version of BOINC, but after the installation, the tasks showed up with computation error. The virtual machines are still running, and I would like to restart the tasks in BOINC if possible. I am not sure how to do this once they have reached the computation error stage, any instructions would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

Jacob Klein
Brain-Bug
Brain-Bug

Re: Tasks Failed After BOINC Update

#2 Ungelesener Beitrag von Jacob Klein » 29.04.2016 04:35

Sorry for your loss!!

Hmm... Offhand, I don't think recovery is even possible. Maybe Christian can give more details, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.
Can you make sure your computers are visible, and give us links to the failed tasks?

Edit: I found the list of your tasks:
http://www.rnaworld.de/rnaworld/results ... stid=40545

So .... Do they say "Computation Error" in the UI? If so, that's unfortunate :( If you look at the stderr.txt files in their slot folders, do they give any hints as to what went wrong?

jon b.
Mikrocruncher
Mikrocruncher

#3 Ungelesener Beitrag von jon b. » 29.04.2016 08:33

There are no stderr files in the slots folders for these tasks. The virtual machines are still running with normal CPU usage, but the UI says "Computation Error." Shortly after this happened, I used the "Shutdown connected client" option to shut down the BOINC client so that the slots folders would not be deleted. I could probably let the VMs run and then send the snapshot or whatever you need if that is possible. I care more about the potentially wasted computing time (over 10,000 hours) than the credit.

Next time I will know not to upgrade BOINC while important tasks are running. :(

Michael H.W. Weber
Vereinsvorstand
Vereinsvorstand

#4 Ungelesener Beitrag von Michael H.W. Weber » 29.04.2016 09:17

Never ever upgrade BOINC or the VirtualBox software while RNA World tasks are still in progress.

Michael.
Fördern, kooperieren und konstruieren statt fordern, konkurrieren und konsumieren.

http://signature.statseb.fr I: Kaputte Seite A
http://signature.statseb.fr II: Kaputte Seite B

Bild Bild Bild

ChristianB
Admin
Admin

#5 Ungelesener Beitrag von ChristianB » 29.04.2016 10:10

If the slot directory is already cleared there is no point in letting the VMs run becuase the result file can not be copied to the shared directory which was in the slot directory. I'm also sorry for this failure but it's not possible to resurrect them now.

Antworten

Zurück zu „RNA World Discussions (english)“